Feed

Using the Dock

I am confused. I cannot work out the logic of switching between opened apps. via the dock. Sometimes I click on an app. in the dock and I get a "blank" desktop and I have to click the icon again to switch to the other app. and sometimes it immediately goes there. I want to return to a position where I do not need to click twice.

This is something to do with the number of desktops open I think. I have looked at Gary (Marmost.com) but still can't work out the logic.

( I know I can use I, 2 or 3 fingers to pull down from the top, top-left or whatever to see all my open apps but with spaces, Mission Control and hot corners I can never remember any of these "gestures".)

Re: Using the Dock

I have two extra Spaces open on my laptop display, with Mail and Music in full-screen in the extra two. If I click on Music in the Dock, I get switched to the space containing Music (as one might hope). If I click on Mail in the Dock, nothing apparent happens which is both disappointing and inconsistent.

If I use Cmd-Tab to attempt to switch to them, nothing happens in either case.

Perhaps when they added Spaces to macOS (MacOS) 10.5, like most new features it wasn't quite finished. Sadly, they don't seem to have followed the usual pattern of using the next couple or releases to make it work fully. I guess that a new headline feature in the next release always trumps some dull tidying up.

So I think it's just broken.

Funnily enough, this recent piece covered Spaces and its close relations. And do you remember split-screen?

Feed