Feed

iCloud storage scam

Perhaps I am late to this party but I have just had an email addressed to my full name from [undisclosed email] saying I have no storage left.
It isn't true as I have 3.83GB free - so it must be a scam.

It looks genuine and the price is right - this is the wording:

"Dear Mark Ford,<br />
Your iCloud storage is full. As a result, you can no longer send or receive messages with your iCloud email address, mark ford...@mac.com, your documents, contacts, mail and device data are no longer backing up to iCloud, and your photos and videos are not uploading to iCloud Photo Library.<br />
To continue using these iCloud services, you need to upgrade your iCloud storage plan or reduce the amount of storage you are using.&quot;

Then there is a link to "Upgrade to 50 GB for £0.79 per month"

&quot;iCloud is a service provided by Apple. Apple ID | Support | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy <br />
Copyright &copy; 2016 iTunes S.&agrave; r.l. 31-33, rue Sainte Zithe, L-2763 Luxembourg. All rights reserved.&quot;<br />

Am I over suspicious?

Re: iCloud storage scam

It's easy to spoof an email address so they could easily send the email as if it came from iCloud.com. See if there's a different Reply To address - I doubt it but fun to look. Hover your mouse over the link to see where it's going to take you - you would normally manage storage through the iCloud section of System Preferences on a Mac or Settings on a mobile device, neither of which take you to a web site to upgrade. If this link does, that's the flaw. I suspect all they're after is your Apple ID password to get at your card details. This is a new twist on your Apple ID being locked!

The link is an https one, then,
setup.iCloud.com/email/prefs/storage?path=STORAGE_AND_BACKUP/CHANGE_STORAGE_PLAN

Perhaps it is genuine & they consider 3.8GB as full!

I have just had a look at my iCloud account on line and find that I cant open anything there - I get the message "Cannot load Calendar/whatever There was a problem loading the application." There is a Report option & an OK one.

Its beginning to look as if I really am 'full' - and I will have to buy another 30GB and make it up to 50.

Yep - I bought more space & all is working OK now. Ho hum ...

The email address ending iCloud.com suggests genuine too

It doesn't do any harm to be suspicious. As has been suggested elsewhere if there is any doubt at all follow your normal route to check if the warning is genuine just as you did Mark.

Feed